Today, we’d be discussing ten commonly used Spanish words in Nigeria. It is worthy of note that Spanish is the second most widely spoken first language in the world after English. It is a romance language and you don’t necessarily have to be a language enthusiast to add a few Spanish words to your lexis.
The ten commonly used Spanish words are highlighted below:
1. Hola(hello): It is a way of greeting that is acceptable in both formal and informal contexts.
2. Gracias(thank you): to show appreciation for something done, “gracias” is a Spanish word that would suffice.
3. Amor(love): a good way to keep the flames burning in a relationship is by addressing your partner in a romantic language and “amor” is one of the popular Spanish words of endearment in Nigeria.
4. Adios(goodbye): it is a casual farewell remark.
5. Bonanza(good luck/fortune): originally a Spanish word and almost overused during product publicity by Nigerian brands—the popular “buy one, get one free” scheme.
6. Pronto(quickly): this is commonly used when you need someone to get something done as soon as possible. For example, I need you to book me a flight to Abuja pronto.
7. Nada(nothing): a word dramatically used among Nigerians, for emphasis purposes, to show that they mean “absolutely nothing”.
8. Señorita(young lady): a sweet appellation to get the attention of an unmarried woman. Popular among our ” Yoruba Demons” and a title equivalent to Miss.
9. Sí(yes): an indication of acceptance or agreement.
10. Amigo/Amiga(friend): a common way to address a friend. When you run into an old pal, you might want to call out “Hey, amigo! Nice to see you again!”